Sunday, 24 October 2010

Photo study of the boy cellist

Before starting to build and experiment in the virtual space, I have begun collecting impressions from my subject my son (the cello boy) as he learns and practices his score. I have taken a series of photos with my iphone of him playing at different angles and contortions of his hands. The instrument being fretless means that the player's hands and fingers must adapt and learn to play the notes. The hands must "remember" and touch is as important as sound. The body and the mind, the ears and eyes are used by the subject as it will be for audience.

Why black and white? As a stark contrast between Second Life's vivid RGB color worldview, I have decided to construct a scene in monotone. It isn't pure SL. Obviously, the concept of photography comes to mind and but also the gap between real life and virtual are needing to be dealt with. In many virtual artists' viewpoints, bringing in the real is taboo as it doesn't rely on the materials and physics of the 3D simulated space. I'd like to challenge this notion while transcending both the photo and virtual spaces to make something new that doesn't exist in either. Still not experimenting in the virtual space, I have yet to know how this imagery will be combined, how users will interact with them or what spatial form will come about. This is fitting to my process and a large part of the experimentation.

At the same time, I'm also doing audio recordings which are still quite rough and even hard to listen to as he endeavors to perform what lies before him on the sheet of music. I will post the raw audio soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment